Skip to main content
Youth are more likely to seek help if…
- The adults around them have positive attitudes about help seeking
- They think adults will respond
- They are willing to overcome peer secrecy requests (help-seeking for friend)
- They think existing resources can help them
- They are engaged in school
Youth are more likely to seek help from informal supports such as friends, family or mentors rather than professionals.
When youth seek professional help, they usually go to someone familiar such as primary care, school nurse or counselor.